private liability follow up

Greg Granoff gjg2@axe.humboldt.edu
Tue Oct 6 17:08 MDT 1998

> Dear Tom, Ron, Newton, and Paul,

Thanks much for your advice/concerns/observations/words of wisdom as
quoted below.Things have a way of working out, and while not all the
issues are solved, many of my concerns have been addressed since the
discussion on the list.  Turns out the CSU system has no specific
injunctions against inventory items living temporarily in faculty
homes.  (This direct from Property office.) They say go ahead, make
whatever documentation you feel comfortable with, and get on with other
stuff.(!)  We call this sort of sudden wind in your sails "whiplash"
around here..... Anyway, this has been done before with verticals under
my watch, (I've been here almost 10 years and we had a different
Chairperson), but I always thought there was alot of winking going on.
Yes, I am very familiar with the "trade for value" proceedure, and have
used it to get rid of extra second rate stuff.  The trouble is all our
remaining stuff is now pretty much first rate, and with no money for
restorations let alone new purchases (and not likely to be any for a
long time, I've been assured), my main objective is to make sure we
retain ownership of everything, including what needs extensive work.  I
seem to have accomplished this now -- I hope.

Oh yeah, and what's all this arguing about snow??  Do you realize that
your talking to a coastal Californian? -- bad enough, but were behind
the "Redwood Curtain" in Humboldt County, AND on the coast --
practically a foreign country by most American's standards.
Snowfall is so rare here that if there's a quarter of an inch, everyone
stops work to watch it and kibbitz about the last 20 minute snowfall
about 7 years ago.  "Now there was a REAL snowfall...."  By the time the
talk stops and everyone returns to their places it's melted.....

By the way, Californians also do not have basements as a rule -  many
probably don't know what one is :-)

Greg