Steinway Damper Problem

Ron Torrella torrella@umich.edu
Thu Oct 1 10:24 MDT 1998

Scott Jones used to say that you can use duckbill pliers to move the wire
up in very small amounts if you loosen the screws slightly.  You brace the
pliers against the damper block (Steinway refers to it as the "underlever
top flange"), squeeze the wire and "leverage"  the wire up (downward
motion of handles, pliers rock on the block, bills have upward motion).
Not sure about going down, though.  Problem you'll find is that the screws
have probably made a ding in the wire. So, if the screw is anywhere near
that ding, it's likely to want to slip back into the ding.

You're in a tight spot if you don't have several hours to do fine
regulating because, ultimately, you'd want to pull all of the dampers,
lightly sand out the dings (I use crocus cloth), and ream out the damper
blocks.  The problem you'll run into, invariably, is that now you'll
notice that the wires aren't bent to properly match the location of the
damper block's hole in relation to the corresponding guide rail hole.
Unless you spend the time correcting that problem, you're going to be
hard-pressed to do fine regulating.

My recommendation: If the pianist isn't complaining about it, leave well
enough alone until you can spend a day or two doing the job right.

Ron Torrella, RPT
Piano Technician
University of Michigan		   "Dese are de conditions dat prevail."
School of Music						--Jimmy Durante
734/764-6207 (office/shop)
734/763-5097 (fax)
734/572-7663 (home)