Damper guide rail bushings

S. Brady sbrady@u.washington.edu
Thu May 28 16:22 MDT 1998

Lorlin,

The only thing that ever worked for me on these double guide-rail bushings
was to tear a strip of bushing cloth the normal width, then tear a
slightly wider strip of black fabric (2.5 times the diameter of the hole),
and then glue the red bushing strip to the black fabric with PVC-E. Let
the glued strips cure thoroughly before drawing them through the holes
as one strip, in the usual fashion. You'll probably need to experiment
with widths before you get it right.

Good luck!

Steve

On 28 May 1998, Lorlin D. Barber wrote:

> I need to brush up on some older Steinway damper guide rail rebushing which
> has a wide hole drilled in the rail  requiring either a plug of felt or two
> layers of woven cloth pulled in. This looks quite  like some later asian
> pianos are designed.
>
> Jack Krefting had a 4/85 article on damper guide rails (as listed in Boone's
> cumulative index).  If this article covers this situation, a copy would be
> greatly appreciated.  If it is simpler to just share a few lines of
> experience via  EM I would be greatful to hear it.
>
> Thanks Much!
>
> Lorlin B.

Steve Brady, RPT
University of Washington