"genuine Steinway"

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Fri Mar 27 12:35 MST 1998

Hi all,

I would like to pose a question to our caut group that has bothered me for
some time. Perhaps one of you have received the answer to this question
directly from someone in a position of authority and would like to share
that clarification, or better yet, maybe one of the "authorities" are
actually listening in.

What exactly is meant by "genuine Steinway" parts? I ask this obvious
question not only for myself, but also for every other independent
technician and rebuilder who would like to do the right thing, consistent
with what we believe is right for the piano, without causing unnecessary
conflict with the manufacturer.  Does "genuine Steinway" mean specifically
only those parts which are made at the Steinway factory and are currently
used by the factory on new pianos in production?  Or, does "genuine
Steinway" have a somewhat broader definition which could include parts not
currently in the production line and not made at the Steinway factory but
which are nonetheless sold to us by Steinway and which may have been used
on new pianos at some point in the past?  Or, does "genuine Steinway" have
an even broader definition including parts not used in current production,
not made by Steinway, and not even sold by Steinway, but which have
been used by the factory on some older Steinway pianos in the Restoration
Center?

Specifically, what shanks and repetitions are we to consider "genuine
Steinway" Considering the significant marketing emphasis on whether the
replacement parts we use are "genuine" or not, it only seems reasonable
that this phrase should be more clearly defined. I presume that I am
not the only technician who would appreciate that clarification.

Thank you,

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College