Resignation/job opening

S. Brady sbrady@u.washington.edu
Thu Mar 26 18:51 MST 1998

Michael and list,

Hear, hear! When I became Journal Editor a little over three years ago, I
requested (and was granted) to cut my full-time job at the UW to
half-time, and hire a new person for the other half. They kept full
benefits for both half-time positions, which is especially great. After
three years doing it this way, I would never go back to full-time.
Advantages for the school: instead of one burned-out, disgruntled
technician, they got two happy techs. At times when two techs are needed
simultaneously, it's possible to do it. When one tech goes on vacation,
there's someone to cover. This move was a win-win-win situation for us and
the school.
	One caveat: if you cut back to half-time, you'll probably see
your self-employment income increase dramatically. Be sure to plan ahead
for the not-so-wonderful tax implications. Ask me sometime (when you've
got a lot of time) how I know.

All best,
	Steve

On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Michael Jorgensen wrote:

> Hello David and Caut List,
>     Congrats' on your courageous decision, I think in the long run you
> will be much better off.  We will be praying for you to get lots of
> private work these next few years.
>      Just curious--Did you try asking them about "job sharing"?  This
> could be the perfect compromise with many huge advantages to both the
> school and the tech(s).  (That is if the school can manage not to cheat
> by stealing the money spent for your benefits).  I have talked to
> administrators about this, all of which are resistant to it and yet can
> give no logical reason why.  I, like you, need time for family, life,
> outside higher paying work, and hearing rest from obnoxious acoustics.
> Is anybody out there doing "Job Sharing"??
>
> -Mike Jorgensen RPT
> Central Michigan University School of Music
>
> I won't be answering any posts 'til Monday, as i've already put in my
> 40, and the concert pianos will be untouched by me through the string of
> concerts this weekend.

Steve Brady, RPT
University of Washington
Seattle, WA