whatkindapianoisitanyway?

Michael J. Wathen michael.wathen@uc.edu
Thu Jun 4 11:56 MDT 1998

Its a shomer grand.

You should ignore the column that has the gauge of the wire listed.  My
point is well taken with Mr. Greely's contribution, gauge has nothing to do
with the breaking point of the wire even though it seems it should have
everything to do with it.

Equation for tension is:

Tension = (frequency^2 + Length^2 + diameter^2)/434

Equation for Break pt.:

% break point = tension/(2528 * diameter^2)

So the diameter^2 in the denominator of the "% brake point" equation
cancels out the diameter^2 in the tension equation.  So % brake point is
independent of the diameter of the string. This means you can try all kinds
of gauge sizes and it will never alleviate the string brakeage problem.
Now, this seems counterintuitive to me but I know its right. Can someone
explain it?

Michael J. Wathen				Email: michael.wathen@uc.edu
College-Conservatory of Music		tel: 513 556-9565
University of Cincinnati			Visit The Piano Technicians Web Page,
Cincinnati, Ohio 45221-0096			to request service click below or visit
		    				http://www.uc.edu/~wathenmj/piano.htm