Beethoven Temperaments

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Fri Jan 30 12:59 MST 1998

Michael writes:
>Tell us more about it.

     It? The CD?   "Beethoven in the Temperaments" =four sonatas on two
temperaments, good piano, good artist, good CD,  I sell them for $15 to techs.
(Pathetique and Op.14 nr.1 are on a Prinz,  Moonlight and Waldstein are on a
Young Temperament; Steinway D at Vanderbilt)

>The assistant conductor for the Cincinnati Sym.
>John Morris Russell said he did an early temperaments program with you a
>while back. He wanted to know if I would do the same thing.

   Oh you fortunate one, tell him yes!!!  He has heard the difference, and
like most musicians that have, he liked the increased harmonic palette.
          	We did Beethoven's 3rd piano concerto in a Young temperament, and
it was outstanding.  I didn't tell the orchestra or audience,  but I don't
know how many people later said that they had never heard a piano stand out so
clearly and lyrically in a concerto before!  The dean of the school even said
he had  never heard that piano sound like it did, and he loved it!
   Enid Katahn, the CD artist mentioned above,played for that performance and
it taught me a lot about temperament with other instruments. The orchestra's
intonation was better that night than it had ever been before. I think it was
because the piano was working with a tonal center, and the musicians just
instinctly responded to  it.
    I have been mainly proposing the use of earlier temperaments in the solo
piano venue, but the concerti offer a likewise fertile ground for improvement.
More on that later, but I really strongly recommend that you take the
opportunity to introduce the sound to a large group of musicians, wherever
they may be found.  Good luck,

Regards,
Ed Foote
 If any of you want the CD, email me with your address, ->put CD in the
subject line, I have been beset by spam recently.......