Dueling Pianos

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Tue Feb 24 08:37 MST 1998

Hi Horace:

It's good to have you back with us.

In your answer to Ted about dueling pianists, I quote the following:

"break" the edges of the hardened hammers ever so slightly, and do a
reasonable
amount of needling between the at-rest (non-shift) string cuts.  I think
I'd also
be sure to clear that left string in the trichords.

I always had the impression that 2 strings would handle less well the
torture which the hammers impart to the strings. Did you intend to put
the negative "not" before the word "clear"? I know we normally can give
the pianist more expression capability when clearing the left string on
pedal shift, but these guys who play these instruments are probably not
interested in such niceties.

Well, there is still the strong possibility that I have missed something.
I seem to be developing the ability to do this. There are 3 things which
happen as one grows older: Number 1. Your memory begins to go. Number 2.
Hmm, I can't remember now what the other 2 are.

Hey, I don't mind at all growing older. It sure beats the alternative.

I think a lot about the here-after these days. I go out in the shop and
think "what am I here after?", I go into the kitchen and mumble "what am
I here after? etc. I'm sure glad I have a 76 year old wife who knows what's
going on around here.

Jim Coleman, Sr.