Another Question

Gilreath@aol.com Gilreath@aol.com
Sun Dec 13 09:46 MST 1998

Roger,

Very good point!  In fact, as a dealer and a tech we approach things a little
differently from most by preferring staff technicians, paying well for floor
tunings and trying to use RPTs except in the case of apprentices.  As a friend
of mine recently said, "I'm beginning to feel that passing the RPT is a lot
like getting a black belt in martial arts : now you know enough to start
learning."  (I don't think he will mind me quoting him.)  It seems odd to me
that dealers often try to employ the cheapest folks they can get hold of
rather than the best.  Using good techs for new pianos insures that they will
work properly, stay in good shape (for the better pianos) and get into good
shape (for the lesser ones).  In reference to a subject that Guy wrote
eloquently on (although I hadn't gotten around to throwing my 2 cents in
earlier), Loan programs can be a Win/Win/Win situation for the manufacturer,
Dealer and Institution IF the pianos are properly prepped and maintained and
an adequate budget is set aside for doing so.  However, I very seldom see this
conscientious approach from any of the three since noone wants to foot the
bill for something that they feel someone else is responsible for.  Granted,
there are exceptions, like Guy, who do it the right way, but they seem to be
the exception rather than the rule.  Much in the same way that we dealers who
properly prep and service are greatly in the minority.  Of course the up side
to that is we have a great marketing advantage over the other by selling
properly supported, properly prepped instruments and putting our money where
our mouth is.

Well, enough agreeing for one day, I'm not used to doing this <BG>.

Hope all are making it through the busy holiday season with some measure of
balance and sanity in your lives.

Allan

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT
Gilreath Piano & Organ Co.
Berry College
Calhoun, GA USA

In a message dated 12/12/98 8:18:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,