Estimating value of Inventory

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu
Wed Dec 9 08:44 MST 1998

Dear list,
I have recently been given a task which is NOT in my job description.  The
process has gone through changes here in recent years with the elimination
of the whole department which keeps track of inventory value.  I am the new
guy and can't find any files which may have been kept by the previous tech
to go by.

I have been asked to help determine the value of the entire piano
inventory.  Our inventory is 130 pianos, which includes everything from
authentic mid-nineteenth century pianos and reproductions of pianofortes to
newer Steinway, Baldwin, and Yamaha pianos.  Do any of you have the
responsibility of valuing your inventory, and what "system" do you use?  We
are somewhat stumped by the urgent request by the administration in that
piano value is so subjective to so many factors.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, Piano Technician
School of Music
University of South Carolina