Baldwin Concert Master vs Disklavier

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Thu Aug 20 18:12 MDT 1998

Hi Avery,

Yes it does--but they have accompanyments predone--a library just asking to
be used. Yes there is a cost--but to have the accompanyment follow you
would be far better than the soloist following what ever the piano is
doing. A diskclavier or other system is little better than the old music
minus one recordings, imho.

At 09:02 AM 8/20/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Don,
>
>   But wouldn't the music have to first be entered into the computer in
>order to be used as an accompaniment? And wouldn't there have to be a
>computer in a practice room in order for the students to check out a disk
>and go practice with the accompaniment?
>   Just exploring the possibilities for too few accompanists and too many
>students who can't afford to pay an accompanist for multiple practice
>sessions during the semester.
>
>Avery
>
>>You might find it much cheaper to use computer based software packages.
>>Finale has an accompanyment program now--it follows the soloist. Most
>>students have computers with sound cards now!
>>
>>At 06:00 PM 8/19/98 -0500, you wrote:
>>>List,
>>>
>>>   Could any of you do any comparisons of owning one of these over the
>>>other. Especially as it might relate to an educational institution? I
>>>need some valid reasons why one might be preferable over the other in a
>>>school setting.
>>>   We're starting a program of buying Disklaviers in order to build a
>>>library of accompaniments for the standard repertoire for students to be
>>>able to check out and rehearse with. I'm sure the program will evolve
>>>into more than just that, but that's the initial impetus for buying the
>>>instruments.
>>>   What I'm wondering about are any advantages of one over the other as
>>>far as usage, longevity, upgradeability (is that a word?), maintenance,
>>>etc.
>>>   Feel free to reply off-list if you wish. Thanks for any information.
>
>>Regards, Don

Regards, Don