knuckle move

DMCKECH DMCKECH@ithaca.edu
Tue Jun 24 16:12 MDT 1997

Tom & List,

On 6/18 Tom Seay wrote:

>Technical portion: have any of you had any experience with moving knuckles
>to correct downweight/upweight measurements in Steinways of the late 70s
>and early 80s? We have relocated knuckles on three pianos (2 Bs and 1 D),
>with generally wonderful results in both touch and tone.

I moved the knuckles on a 60's S&S  B due to a mistake. During the parts
selection I took the wrong set of shanks & flanges from the cabinet and
proceeded to install all the parts. (Yes I know, dumb!) It was not until
final regulations, when I knew something was wrong, that I discovered my
incorrect parts selection. The knuckles were closer to the flange pin than
spec. for this piano. Of course jack to knuckle core alignment was off and
the up/down weight as well.

Rather than pull the hammers I decided to try pulling the knuckles and
setting them at the proper distance. (It is great to be working in a school
where one can do this sort of experiment.) The Hart knuckle removing tool
came out about this time so the job of pulling the knuckles went fairly
well. I made a jig for the band saw to get a consistent cut and proceeded
to widen the slot for the knuckle core. I used small pieces of veneer to
wedge the knuckle tight in its new position, using Titebond glue.

The piano is used hard during semester and I have never had a problem with
it. I would do this again if the situation warranted.

Don McKechnie
Ithaca College
dmckech@ithaca.edu

Mark Your Calendars Now For NYSCON 97!