New List and Avery's Move

Scott.Thile Scott.Thile
Wed Jun 11 13:20 MDT 1997

Hi Avery and new CAUT listers,

I'm glad to have a CAUT specific Listserv again. I developed a quick
delete key technique for the last 18 months of pianotech. I'll stay
subscribed to pianotech for a while via the digest option, just scanning
the message headers for anything of interest in spare moments. (Certainly
not many of those around here though).

Avery wrote:
> We're supposed to start the move into our new building the last day of
>June, so I've also been trying to get all that organized so I can do a print
>out for the movers just telling them "the piano from this room number goes
>to that room number".

We moved into our renovated building this January.  I was in charge of
all music department equipment moves, pianos included.  It was a big job.
I used a computerized inventory that I developed showing all the
re-assignments.  At MSU we have an in-house moving crew that is well
trained and equipped for pianos. I prioritized everything for the crew.
It's hard to believe, but we got it all done during Christmas break. I
was here durring most of the moves just to make sure things ended up
where assigned.

>Plus, I've got to start packing some of the shop
>stuff soon to get ready for the new one.

I had to hit the ground running after our move and worked out of boxes
all last semester. I am only now setting up shop in earnest. Avery, keep
some notes on the process of moving and setting up shop.  I am hoping to
focus an issue of our newsletter on "Setting up the CAUT shop".  I would
like to include an article from your experiences if possible.

>   Have any of you had to deal with a bidding process for this kind of
>move? It's really kind of ridiculous. I just talked to one of the movers
>who called me and said that the bid specified "replacement value" insurance.
According
>to the mover, no insurance company will even handle that unless the mover
>is moving new pianos!

I didn't have to deal with the bidding process for our move, however, I
think if you really need replacement cost insurance on all those pianos,
it will cost a small fortune.  When I had my rebuilding operation in So.
California I worked with several movers.  The standard insurance they
carried was limited to losses of 60 cents per pound. Even for a 1,000 lb.
concert grand, that only amounts to $600 worth of insurance. (I think the
moving industry is regulated and this is the minimum level of coverage.)
If I wanted more insurance I had to pay extra.  Often, the extra
insurance cost more than the move itself.

I hope you get it all worked out.  Maybe the new shop will be worth all
the headaches...
It certainly has been for me.

Scott

Scott E. Thile, RPT