[pianotech] better way to adjust action?

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 31 15:26:27 MST 2013

Michael said:
"Hi everybody,
?
What is the better spec or way to adjust this piano action?
?
Thanks,
Michael Mezhinsky RPT"

Michael,
The pictures denote a Brambach Action. Without them, we'd not have a clue
and I would have answered with: With tools and specs!<G>
Since I own one and have several clients with them, it's familiar ground.
You could look it up in the Archives, as one tech would insist that you do,
but I'll give you the shorter route. The specs are essentially the same as
any other American Grand! Let-off: 1/8"-1/16"; Drop: 1/16"; Key dip: .375"
to .400" (after touch being the end criteria); Blow Distance: 1 3/4"; etc.
One other item of MAJOR consideration: The Centerline of the Jack should be
in line with the wooden point in the "knuckle", (which is built into the
shank). Another is: if the leather, on the knuckle is loose, it needs to be
tight! That can be accomplished in two ways, Bolster with key bushing cloth
OR take one end of the leather loose and reglue it in a stretched fashion.
Hope that helps. Also, ...it'd be good if you purchased an action handbook,
for general specs of alot of different types of pianos. It's available from
the Home Office.
Best,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.