[pianotech] TL question, ot

Joe Goss imatunr at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 11:08:37 MST 2013

Hi Les,
I think it is going  to depend on the way you use the tuning lever i.e. smooth pull, slow jerk, fast jerk etc.
I find the faster I can go through the less over pull is  needed. On the SAT I read A2 and enter half that amount (equals 12.5 cents over pull)
and tune the wrapped strings.that usually puts the bass within 3 cents of what I want.
In the tenor if the piano is less than 30 cents flat
(a spinet) I take off 5 cents and at Bb4 remeasure and take off the 25% the SAT recommends. At the break check and reset if needed. At F6 usually need to reset but never use the 33% option.
Larger pianos always get the bass offset with 25% at the first plain wire note.
I do test the octave and 4th 5th as I go and like to hear some beating on the sharp side of the octave but not at the 4th and 5th. When tuning in the last two octaves the strings in the tenor have usually settled to within a few cents of where they need to be making the follow through tuning go a lot easier.
As I have not used theTL the above may not be helpful to you but might be to others.
Having always been an ETD user:
Conn strobe Peterson strobe Both with bad results <g>
Yamaha much better
SAT learning to hear
Verituner  starting to understand
Back to the SAT for its size and battary life

Joe Goss BSMusEd MMusEd RPT
imatunr at gmail.com
www.mothergoosetools.com