[pianotech] loose hammers

Marshall Gisondi pianotune05 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 28 05:36:07 MST 2013

Hi Norm,Thanks for the info.  I had a feeling there were butt screws on this Steinway.   Does the fact that it has cord loops or what appears to be cord loops indicate this arrangement, or just the fact of what model we have here indicate this hammer butt set up.?  Does hard playing lend itself to loosening hammers?   I did find it a challenge to tune, lots of false beats.  How do you handle them on this particular one?  This one is indeed a 45.  The odd thing is, I cannot find the serial number anywhere on this piano.   She said that they purchased it from the factory 12 years ago when they lived in NY.   I've also Recently come across at least two old grand pianos without a name on the key cover, name board or even the plate and no serial number.  How do you and others on the list address a no name or serial number piano?   is there a way to find a name on a "nameless" piano?  Thanks  Marshall

Marshall Gisondi
MARSHALL'S PIANO SERVICE
215-510-9400
http://www.phillytuner.com