[pianotech] a Steinway piano with a crooked stencil

Norman Cantrell normancantrell at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 27 18:49:27 MST 2013

Marshall
The Steinway 45 is also known as a 1098 and is often feared by tuners due to challenges in tuning them.  We have 78 of them at Oklahoma City University and after 7 years of tuning 30 to 40 per semester (my share) that is not a tremendous issue for me.  The hammer butts do have both a flange screw and a small Butt plate that tightens against the center pin on 1098's of that era.  You do have to pull the action to access the screws in the butt plates.  They are subject to becoming loose due to seasonal changes in humidity.  Most of the time wobbling hammers can be traced to loose butt plates.
The stencil issue will be best addressed by the dealer unless you do refinishing yourself and want to purchase Steinway lacquer and a brass decal from Steinway.
Norman Cantrell