[pianotech] a Steinway piano with a crooked stencil

Marshall Gisondi pianotune05 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 25 18:30:53 MST 2013

Hi Everyone,I have a customer who has a background in graphic design as well as her husband.  She purchased a Steinway 45 about 12 years ago.  She addressed an issues that you'll see in this picture.  The decal or stencil is crooked.  If yo u look at the s in Steinway and the last s in sons, the one s in Sons is a bit lower a "pika" lower she tells me.  I didn't notice it but when I got close I did. She brought it to their attention but didn't want a new piano because she liked the action in this particular one.  Is there anything that can be done to correct this name that goes slightly down hill?   My other question is, do these pianos have the hammers with the screw set up like Yamaha because many of them are loose and there are cord loops or what appear to be by the way the hammer springs feel.  Her son is a jazz pianist and he takes out his stress on the piano as she put it to me today. lol  Does this mean autimatically that there is the screw that holds the hammer in place or is that not always the case. The other reason I believe it's screws holding the hammers in place it due to the fact that there are so many of them that are loose.  thanks everyoneMarshall

Marshall Gisondi
MARSHALL'S PIANO SERVICE
215-510-9400
http://www.phillytuner.com