[pianotech] Reducing tuning time (was Re: frustrated)

Encore Pianos encorepianos at metrocast.net
Tue Jan 22 03:57:52 MST 2013

My original impetus to try doing this method was trying to get rid of the yo
yo effect in high treble tuning when the pins are tight.  You know - move
the pin, it jumps half a mile north, move it again, it jumps half a mile
south, repeat ad nauseum.  So I started playing with the slow drag up and it
works well.  In that circumstance, it seems far easier to have a stable pin
set.

I don't know how to answer your question with any specific knowledge.  But I
suspect that it catches up while the pin is moving and arrives at the stop
point in that state and stays there, since there is nothing more to do if we
have moved the pin accurately.

Since this is a relatively new movement pattern for you and likely not yet
fully committed  to muscle memory, I say keep playing with it.  As your
technique improves with repetition, you will find that you can quickly drag
the pin south, start quickly moving back up and ease back on your speed as
you are coming onto your target spot.  I also have found that if I am a
little unsure whether I have arrived at the stop point and may be just a tad
south of it, if I hold my pin push (I have not released the pressure on the
hammer), I can nudge it that little bit more and maintain all the benefits
of this movement pattern in terms of stability.  But if I release the
pressure of my hand on the tuning hammer, I have to start over because the
pin will twist on its axis.

Perhaps an appropriate moniker for this technique would be to call it Drag
and Drop Tuning.

Will