[pianotech] graphite paste

Thos Carpenter cathomas1003 at qwestoffice.net
Sat Jan 19 17:08:52 MST 2013

Out in the shop this afternoon putting stuff away and attempting to clean up some, I came across a little round can of graphite stuff that I've had forever. It has been totally covered in black gunk since I've had it, so I decided to clean it up and see if I could read the label. Turns out it's from Tuners Supply, specially formulated for piano use, whatever that is. I've used it on machinery a couple of times through the years, but never in a piano. Don't see any reason to start now, but I thought someone might be interested in seeing the label of a real antique supply item.

Ron N

I probably shouldn't share this information because I regret that a predecessor frequently used something similar on knuckles, bushings and such.  Really messy and doesn't work as good as teflon  powder or protek.  He said he made it with graphite & lanolin.
Tom

A FINE TECHNICIAN
Thos. Carpenter - Piano Technician
303.684.6766