[pianotech] Graphite Paste

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 19 14:17:17 MST 2013

Ron said:
"Out in the shop this afternoon putting stuff away and attempting to
clean up some, I came across a little round can of graphite stuff that
I've had forever. It has been totally covered in black gunk since I've
had it, so I decided to clean it up and see if I could read the label.
Turns out it's from Tuners Supply, specially formulated for piano use,
whatever that is. I've used it on machinery a couple of times through
the years, but never in a piano. Don't see any reason to start now, but
I thought someone might be interested in seeing the label of a real
antique supply item."

Ron,
Really neat! In  the 70's I purchased the whole shop of a piano/music
store. In that inventory, was a gallon can of the same stuff!<G> Like you,
I've only used it on other-than-piano situations. Really messy stuff! The
real gem, however, was: inside the gallon can, (which was half empty<G>),
was a Victorian Table Knife! The knife, which I've cleaned up, (that took
some doing fer sur), has high grade steel blade, pewter bolster and
Rosewood handle! Because it is very thin, I've used it for such jobs as
slicing between the keys when replacing key end felt, etc. It takes a fine
edge and holds it well.<G> As for the Graphite paste, that stuff is only
good for "machinery", (Like Trailer Wheel Bearing Packing.<G>) Thanks for
the glance into the past.
Best,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.