[pianotech] privately

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Jan 17 08:44:05 MST 2013

Do you mean by single measurements, single methods of measuring or the measuring of single keys?

I know that you survey many samples in your own system of measuring weight in order to determine an average and I think that is wise for those using that system.  Even the most careful measuring leaves some things open to interpretation: at what weight does the key actually start down, and similarly for determining the upweight.  So I’ve also found it necessary to take multiple measurements when using weight systems to establish the action ratios but overall I don’t find it reliable and get numbers with quite a disbursement.   With distance formulas as I’ve described I don’t find that so many samples are necessary and the results are more reliable.  Sharps and naturals, of course, can vary in the key ratio, but wippen and shank levers tend to be uniform.

If you mean that one should employ multiple systems, then I tend to agree.  I use distance formulas to establish the action ratio and then verify my weight predictions by setting samples on several notes.  I don’t see much reason for using multiple distance formula measuring systems, but I don’t guess you meant that.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com