[pianotech] Measuring Action Ratios

Jim Ialeggio jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Thu Jan 17 08:43:14 MST 2013

Add to my last post...

Also, how far off from half stroke is the existing line of centers? The
capstan heel "pivot" is not a pivot either, but a sliding pivot.

There a 3 non-pivots that are considered to be mathematically true
pivots in any leverage calc.  Any one, or the cumulative effect of all
three can cause the "as functioning" leverage to disagree with the
simple math.  Then add to that that the actual location of the "as
functioning" key levers can be pivoting forward of the center of the
balance hole, and you you have 4 sources of measurement noise. Further,
since the key in particular is a long arm lever the effect of small
measurement vs "as functioning" pivot locations is greatly accentuated.

I say, keep it simple. The existing leverage calculators we use are
approximations. Keep the calcs simple as they work reasonably reliably
as a general average, and look for measurement vs "as functioning"
anomalies to explain gross difference.

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio