[pianotech] Measuring Action Ratios

Nicholas Gravagne ngravagne at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 21:05:42 MST 2013

FWIW --- I will be teaching on these very concepts at the WestPac III
Conference this coming March in Phoenix. Briefly, David is correct in that
the proof must be in the pudding; i.e., theory and calculations should
dovetail with real world events. Precise measurement of the components can
be tricky, but the layout of true lever (aka moment) arms should follow
standard engineering protocols.

Laying out and measuring on the diagonal (conjugate arms) goes way back to
the European (read German) system. Dr. Walter Pfeiffer was a leading
proponent here but his reasoning had more to do with eliminating friction
and gross mismanagement of parts layout than with insisting that his system
of measuring the "arms" was the only way, or that, in fact, his lever arms
were actually "moment arms".

He says referring to his "lever arms" as shown in his drawings:

"In the strictest sense, we would probably have to speak, not of a front
and back lever arm of  the key, but rather of the *effective length* of the
front and back portions of the key lever. Accordingly, the same holds true
for the terms upper and lower lever arm used for the whippen..."

Dr. Pfeiffer clearly knows the difference between a true lever arm and an
"effective" connection of the parts, the purpose of which is to control the
component layout as to minimal friction and ease of rotation along the
lines of gearing principles. This was a primary focus of his.

NG

--
Nick Gravagne, RPT
AST Mechanical Engineering