[pianotech] Measuring Action Ratios

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Jan 16 18:17:47 MST 2013

Yes I did!  Where to measure from and to seems to be a subject of some
debate.  I'm aware of the other protocols and there are others besides the
one you mention.  The discrepancy isn't to do with where I'm measuring from.
It is very unlikely that this action has a 5.2 ratio as measured by the key
travel/hammer movement method.  The 5.87 that I got from this lever arm
measuring is consistent both with how the action regulates and the weight
based formulas (Stanwood) that I use for determining strike weights with
targeted balance and front weights , (not to mention how many of the older
MH actions were set up).

I have tried every method that I know of for measuring action ratios
(including the one you mention) and this one I find the most reliable and
consistent with the weight formulas as I use them and regulation
predictions.

In this case the key travel/hammer travel relationship is not consistent
with the actual action ratio no matter how you measure it.  That is the crux
of the matter.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com