[pianotech] Measuring Action Ratios

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Jan 16 09:57:43 MST 2013

William:

You'll get many different answers depending on who you ask.  I find that
this method syncs up with the other formulas I use (weight based) the best.
A picture makes it easier to describe but I don't have one, so I measure as
follows:

EA = Effort Arm

RA = Resistance Arm

Key Ea measured from front of key (or touch point if you prefer-the farther
in you go the higher the ratio) to center of balance pin hole along the
bottom of the key.

Key Ra measured from center of balance pin hole to a line drawn
perpendicular from the center of the capstan to the bottom of the key.

(Key measurements are all taken along the bottom of the key.)

Wippen Ea (first draw a line between the wippen center pin and the jack
center pin) Ea is measured from the wip center pin to a line perpendicular
to the contact point of the wippen heel/capstan contact point along the line
you've drawn

Whip Ra is measured from the wippen center pin to the jack center pin.

Shank Ea is measured from the hammer flange center pin to the center of the
knuckle core (measured along the shank) .

Shank Ra is measured from the hammer flange center pin to the center of the
hammer molding (measured along the shank).

Example below for this action.  Multiply the three independent ratios
(.5*1.6*7.35) to get your overall action ratio.

Ea

Ra

	Ratio

Key