[pianotech] yellowing key tops

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 16 00:56:37 MST 2013

Paul asked:
"Hi All,

What if anything can be done to plastic keytops to lessen the yellowing
effect. If nothing can be done, I'll have to recover them. This is from a
70's Steinway M I am overhauling for our viola prof who is on leave this
semester.
Thanks!"

Paul,
I'd replace. (if you don't do that work.....hint, hint,...I do.<G>)
And, then I'd make sure the prof. quit closing the key cover! All key tops
are photo sensative. They will change color if in the dark. Also, hand
washing has a lot to do with it too, (besides the lesser quality of the
plastic formula you are dealing with.<G). The natural acids and oils that
we all have, on our hands, in varying degrees, is the culprit, imo.
Best,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police