[pianotech] My first square

Donald P Coutts couttss at att.net
Mon Jan 14 16:02:22 MST 2013

Paul;

Be prepared for a possible backache.

Don C.

________________________________
 From: "paulmulik at yahoo.com" <paulmulik at yahoo.com>
To: "pianotech at ptg.org" <pianotech at ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2013 4:28 PM
Subject: [pianotech] My first square

A university that I tune for has received the gift of a restored Schomacker square grand, circa 1870. Perhaps it was one of those things they were compelled to accept, so as not to potentially offend a wealthy donor -- a white elephant, if you will.

I looked it over for a few minutes today.
It is a truly beautiful piece of furniture. I don't know how long ago the restoration was done; the strings and tuning pins look brand new, but it sounds as if it has never been tuned since. Not one to back down from a challenge, I'm going to attempt to tune this baby in the next few days. I tried my regular tuning lever (with an extra long head) for size and it looks like it should work fine.

I have never attempted to tune a square before. I assume this piano should not be tuned to A440, correct?  Maybe 435?  Anybody have any other advice?

Thanks,
Paul Mulik