[pianotech] WTF?

Jim Moy jim at moypiano.com
Sun Jan 13 21:13:04 MST 2013

David,

There are two email lists with the name "pianotech" in their names.
The one I am sending this email to is the "old" one, and is hosted by
the old PTG server, which I maintain. You can tell because the address
is simply pianotech at ptg.org. The email which you originally asked
about is a feature of the "new" email list, hosted by Higher Logic.
You can tell because of the "egroups.ptg.org" domain, and the fact
that it is run by Lyris software (whereas the old software is called
Mailman).

Both systems have bounce detection, which means that when it tries to
deliver you an email and it bounces for whatever reason, it keeps
track of it. If it bounces too many times, it takes some sort of
action. It appears from that email that it is putting your
subscription in "timeout," which is the same thing the Mailman
software on the old server would to should it bounce.

Now, as to whose fault it is, that is difficult to tell. For just one
pair of examples of faults on both sides, it could be that your ISP
has been blacklisted and therefore the Higher Logic server is taking
the correct action in rejecting it, or it could be Higher Logic has
changed a setting, and is rejecting your email without warrant.
Without log files from both Higher Logic and your ISP, we cannot tell
why your email is bouncing. There could be reasons why both are saying
that it isn't their fault, and both are correct because they are
missing pieces of information (I have been in that situation.)

Take heart, it might fix itself in time, stuff like that happens too.

I'm Cc'ing Clint at the home office in case he has any avenues to
pursue about this.

Jim