[pianotech] strip muting

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Sun Jan 13 16:02:28 MST 2013

I use a thin-ish strip in the bass, and start at the break with the wider
end of the strip. That makes for a lot less fabric to jam between strings
when they get fatter and closer as I approach the monochords.

I have a selection of lengths of "L"-shaped plastic that I lay on the
dampers above the treble break, with one leg of the "L" between the dampers
and strings. Then I have a piece of 1/8" Masonite to slide the strip mute
between the plastic and the strings as I hold the dampers back with pedal
and fingers.

The "L"-shaped plastic was a home center (e.g. Lowe's, Home Despot, etc.)
item for drop ceiling tile installation.