[pianotech] Reducing tuning time (was Re: frustrated)

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Jan 12 07:45:03 MST 2013

On 1/12/2013 8:06 AM, tunerboy3 at comcast.net wrote:

> You order it like one solid piece, something like 72" or 84" long or
> so, and cut to desired length or, don't cut it at all.  I ordered 6
> or 10 of them so I could experiment with it.  I wound up cutting one
> of them down the center all the way and using that one in the treble.

I cut a strip diagonally down it's length and get two tapered lengths.
Ideal in verticals to get around the dampers in that last section where
there's no room  - especially in Baldwins. A full width strip works very
well in the bass, or two of them if one leaks too much. Pearl River
passed out a terrific strip at the convention one year. Thin action
cloth sewed to buckskin (or Ecsaine, but it acts like buckskin). Best
tenor strip I've ever used in grands. I've wished I had managed to get a
couple more, but they were pretty protective of them and they wouldn't
be difficult to make when the one I have gives up the ghost.

>  I don't now why but string spacing tends to
> be a little greater in the tenor on verticals than in the treble.

Fan angles, I'd say. I use a narrow strip of thicker action cloth here.
Ron N