[pianotech] Pinblock Separation

Wesley Hardman hardmanwesley84 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 07:01:31 MST 2013

This is very good information, and I am very appreciative for it.  If these
people decide to have the piano fixed, I will make use of the information
you have provided me.  I will say that the manufacturer I had reference to
earlier was Steinway.  I've never done one of these repairs, but a member
of my chapter found one of these cracks on a Steinway 1098;  he called the
manufacturer;  the rep told him that it would not affect the tuning of the
instrument;  the member has been tuning this piano for years and has yet to
make the repair.  As I said earlier, the Kimball studio pinblock separated
from the frame this past weekend while being played, and the cracking
process was very audible, resulting in a very out-of-tune piano.