[pianotech] Rendering fix

Jim Ialeggio jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Fri Jan 11 18:32:45 MST 2013

Ron wrote:

<I think I'd pitch the existing felt altogether, install a strip of new
butt felt just in front of the counter bearing bar

Right, that was my plan

< and under string felt to hide glue residue but not contact the strings.

good idea...make it purdy

<If the corroded strings aren't dragging across inches of the new felt,
where's the thwart?

this is one of those spots where a microscopic problem creates an effect
whose magnitude seems at first glance to be way beyond the effect one
might expect. It also is an effect which is frankly hard to believe,
until you see and test the havoc it wreaks...that leaves me with my
guard up...Murphy just lurking, waiting expectantly with a smirk.

<Also, since this felt isn't load bearing, but rather just contact
damping the strings, why wouldn't a non absorptive artificial material
work better here, like polyester?

I have been considering this for a while, and have a source for some
better quality polyester felt than the craft stores carry, though the
$50 min will last me well into the next millenium. The color is a
reasonable scarlet, but butt felt it ain't, as its only 1/8 thick.  I
guess I could make a built up lamination of the polyester, then make
some tacky Christmas ornaments with the rest <G>.

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio
jim at grandpianosolutions.com