[pianotech] frustrated

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 17:32:43 MST 2013

A lot of great responses so far, Les.

Not sure if this will apply in your case. I have noticed in several
different Kawai grands a tendency for some instability, at least with my
normal test blows. What I mean is this: my normal test blows are pretty
hard, and where most pianos would be stable, certain Kawai grands have
pitch change caused by the normal test blow. My test blows are not
merciless, but they are firm. In these particular Kawais, it didn't matter
which lever technique I used, my normal test blow would cause immediate
pitch drop. And I could pound them pretty far flat with repeated hard
smacks. This would not happen in most pianos. And I can't think of any
other brand where I've noticed this.

Nothing changed the fact that the string moved with a normal test blow. I
have good lever technique and good stability, and am very confident in my
tuning skills. So, what I did was back off of the test blow just a bit.
Things went fine after that. I do think the stability of those pianos is
likely just fine with the reduced test blows. Most of the time, we are
striking the key with far greater force than it usually is played. These
pianos all were the KG2 size or smaller, and in homes. Not likely to be
pounded anyway.

But even if the stability is not there, it's not my fault. Can only do so
much, as others have said.

Hope this helps.

--
John Formsma, RPT