[pianotech] Reducing tuning time (was Re: frustrated)

Duaine Hechler dahechler at att.net
Fri Jan 11 15:04:38 MST 2013

I've been tuning, with an ETD, now for about 13 years and I can't seem to get much faster than about 2 hrs.

First, 99% of my tunings are pitch raises - one pass - with a very wide range of cents - usually way flat.

Hear is the basics I do.

- Start from A0 and go up.
- Leap frog mutes - (M=mute, TM = tune middle, TL = tune left, TR = tune right, S = String group)

   (I think this is accurate ? - I had to draw the strings and place and move mutes on paper)

   M1 - TM1 - M2 | M2 - S2 - M1 | TL1 | TM2 | M1 - S3 - M2 | TR1 | TL2 | TM3 | M2 - S4 - M1 | TR2 | TL3 | TM4 ..............

   So I think I'm already moving mutes as little as possible.

- Pull strings slightly sharp of pitch then back down to pitch (seems better for stability)
- Check for stability

I know that going sharp and coming back down -  takes time.

Any pointers to get faster ? On the upper treble, is it better (hearing wise) to pull up to pitch or go down to pitch ?

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ - Tuning, Servicing & Rebuilding