[pianotech] Pinblock Separation

Duaine Hechler dahechler at att.net
Fri Jan 11 02:40:39 MST 2013

On 01/10/2013 08:34 AM, Wesley Hardman wrote:
> The piano is a Kimball studio.  The pinblock has separated from the frame with a huge, visible crack from one end to
> the other. A highly reputable manufacturer says this separation will not affect the ability of the piano to hold a
> tune and is only cosmetic and could be filled with a filler of some kind and then sanded down.  What is your take on this?
> Wesley Hardman, RPT
> Scottsboro, Alabama
I've used this method on antique reed organs.

If you can get several clamps and tighten the separation till it's almost closed then apply a run of Thin CA glue in the
crack then with the clamps, close the separation all the way shut. Then a day or two later, apply another run in the
crack which should wick in some more and that should do it.

My 2 cents,
Duaine

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ - Tuning, Servicing & Rebuilding