[pianotech] Worst Bass/Tenor Crossover in Universe

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Thu Jan 10 10:02:23 MST 2013

If your epoxy-coated or saturated bridge tops are feeling "sticky" or
"plastic-y" they I'd suggest you are doing something wrong and a few things
come to mind:

-    You're using the wrong epoxy. To saturate something like a bridge
surface (i.e., maple or some such) it needs to be fairly thin stuff. You
don't want to be using the cheap goopy stuff they sell down at Wal-Mart.

-    You're mixing it incorrectly (i.e., the mix ratios are off). Or not
enough (common problem).

-    It's out of date. Most epoxy formulations are fairly stable these days
but they do have a shelflife. If you don't use a lot of the stuff grab a
felt pen and write the purchase date on the container. Time flies.

-    You're putting it on too thick. You don't need all that much and you're
going to sand most of it away.

-    You're not letting it cure long enough. Just because your epoxy may get
"hard" in a few hours doesn't mean it has fully cured. That may take a few
days or a couple of weeks.

-    If you're really, really concerned with the friction between the
strings and the bridge surface-you don't need to be but in spite of all
known logic some are-you can mix a little graphite powder into the epoxy.
Then when you lightly block sand the surface you get a nice, black (well,
gray-black) surface with at least a moderately lubricous surface. (Keep it
off the notches.)

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich

Piano Design & Fabrication

6939 Foothill Court SW, Olympia, Washington 98512 USA

Phone  360.515.0119 - Cell  360.388.6525

del at fandrichpiano.com  <mailto:del at fandrichpiano.com> - ddfandrich at gmail.com