[pianotech] Worst Bass/Tenor Crossover in Universe

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Jan 10 05:05:55 MST 2013

On 1/10/2013 5:30 AM, Encore Pianos wrote:

> To my ear,
> it falls short of being an improved system over the best “traditional”
> boards by a fair amount.

The board can be driven into chaos at surprisingly moderate attack
levels everywhere in the scale. I've been told repeatedly by techs who
ought to know better that this is a feature necessary to good piano
sound, largely because mine can't.

Adding bearing to these boards would improve nothing. They are just not
stiff enough.

> That said, could the Stuart or Phoenix agraffe be installed on a
> conventionally constructed board with compression, crown, and bearing
> skillfully blended together and sound very good in the ways we want a
> board to perform?  I believe so.

It depends on how we want a board to perform, I think. In my experience,
there is very little resembling a consensus on what that is. There is
also the mass of the agraffes to deal with, which will most certainly
affect the performance. So tell me, what's so wrong with the current
bridge pinning and notching system, if done well, that is inferior to
agraffes?
Ron N