[pianotech] hammers flanges etc

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Tue Jan 8 20:05:26 MST 2013

Marshall

Regarding the first question about hammer replacement. While it is good to learn new skills, you also have to recognize your limitations. It's a hard job even for us sighted guys, SO I can immagine it's even more diffilcult if you can't see. I'm not saying you shouldn't try it, but perhaps you ought to consider findign someone to do that for you. When I first got in the business I learned refinishing, But it wasn't too long after I got into it that I realized two things. First, I wasn't very good at it, and second. I hated it. It was dirty and very time consuming. So I decided to farm it out. I found a couple of good refinisher, and relied on them to do the jobs for me. I charged the customers a little more than what the refinisher charged me, and both of us were happy. So perhaps you need to find a couple of technicians in your area who are willing to do the work for you. Find out what they charge for doing the work, and charge a little extra for yourself.

As far as the Knabe is concerned. You're talking two different things here. If it needs new hammers and strings, etc., then it needs them. Putting in a humidity control system is not going replace the hammers and strings. It will just make the humidity in the piano more stable. But it will not remove rust, and it will not put felt back on the hammers.

On a different note, but with the same customers, a customer will always tell you their sob story about how they can't afford to do the repairs because they have other bills to pay. So what. I've got problems paying my bills, too. but if I want something bad enough, I'll find a way to pay for it. The same with a customer. Give them an estimate to do the work so that you can make money, and then stick to it. Don't lower the price because the customer says she can't afford it. That's her problem. If she wants the work done bad enough, she'll find the money.

Wim