[pianotech] Worst Bass/Tenor Crossover in Universe

Jim Ialeggio jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Tue Jan 8 10:55:30 MST 2013

Ron wrote:

<We may not ever be able to make a 5' piano
indistinguishable from a 9' piano, but we can almost surely make them
sound obviously better than the manufacturer ever managed.

Right. I am, in my own thinking, distinguishing between 5' with the
entire bass hugging the rim, and 5' with some room from the rim to play
with.

I also used the words stiffness and restriction interchangeably, which
to be clear, both in my own thinking and in communicating this stuff, is
not the same thing.

I am also edging closer to selectively bagging rim notches in cross
grain areas where stiffness is required(ribs), but freedom of movement
is desirable. (but still a bit concerned about panel cracks at the rim
joint)

Also, there might be a completely different approach. Since the Phoenix
agraffes are designed to be used at zero bearing, the zero bearing could
conceivably allow a high bass cantilever without the roll
tendency???maybe??? Though in a sh-t box like Terry's victim, the point
is largely hypothetical.

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio