[pianotech] kids pianos and... animals

Bill Fritz pianofritz50 at aol.com
Sun Jan 6 11:00:33 MST 2013

When it comes to animals...  me, I'm a dog lover.  And they are the first to greet you as you walk thru the door.  So I offer the back of my hand for them to snif, then if they're ok, I pet them, and say "I didn't come to tune no piano, I came to pet you for an hour!"  The owners love that.

But then when I start to set up, I tell the owner that, though I am cautious, I have several sharp tools and some nasty chemicals that can be very hazardous to pets (& kids), and that "I heard from a buddy that a cat got real sick when it got into his piano kit.".  Almost always then, the dog/cat/kid get put in a different locale... usually w/ a gate or door.

As to any howling... most of the time the dogs seem to "sing" around E5 or so for about 5 notes, and then quit as I go higher.

Bill Fritz, St Louis