[pianotech] undisciplined kids

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Sat Jan 5 17:48:09 MST 2013

Then there was the crabby mother I tuned for. Her sullen son was about 19.

When he was two years old, he'd chipped a bunch of ivory. She still was
dripping vitriolic scorn over him because of it. You can imagine how
pleased he
was over that. For his sake, I wish she'd understood the concept of a
statute
of limitations, back when he was about four years old.

I warn parents of very young children about their ("flint knapping")
impulse to chip piano keys. I tell the parents that age two is the big
danger area.
They're way too young even to know it's wrong.

By the way, we were talking about providing piano wire for non-piano
applications.
I just had a repeat request for a 1/3 pound reel of size 13-1/2. I'd
forgotten what
he used it for. Aligning helicopter drive shafts! (How cool is that?)

He said I have a different car now. That means that the last time he got a
reel from me was at least seven years ago. He paid me twice what I asked.

Good 2013 to all --

Susan