[pianotech] wooden click at letoff?...reprise

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Jan 5 12:59:36 MST 2013

On 1/5/2013 1:24 PM, Jim Ialeggio wrote:

> Is the click intermittent or consistent...ie, does it  happening every
> time, every stroke?

You may possibly have heard me say this at one time or another, but I
don't know that I've ever run across anything that's absolutely,
unfailingly, purely binary 100% yes or no. So no, not necessarily. The
clicks also come and go with humidity changes, as makes sense
considering the dimensional changes in the wooden under lever, which can
make the noise source hard to verify.

> Does the click on a particular note have a consistent sound, or does it
> change with different key velocities?  Or does the click only appear at
> higher velocities?

They aren't all that rule oriented and dependable, in my experience. Not
good team players. If you glue or swage the leads in the suspected under
lever and the noise immediately stops and doesn't come back, that was
possibly it.

Ron N