[pianotech] undisciplined kids

Euphonious Thumpe lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 5 02:05:26 MST 2013

We are, unfortunately, now several decades into the "you are born perfect", "God loves you just the way you are" view of existence (a gift, along with Disco, of the 1970's) so many parents now feel no need to correct their spawn's unruly conduct. Unfortunately. And a result of this, when these children "grow up", is the 4 ambulances that park in downtown Athens, Ga., at about 8 PM: awaiting casualties of the night's approaching "festivities". (There was an article in the paper recently, about how there was evidence that bartenders were accepting bribes to put date-rape drugs in girls drinks, too.) Good thing you didn't touch the child, as you might well have been charged with "assault"! ( I almost got beaten up in a Target store by a hulking "redneck" father because a couple of his kids playing football in the aisles nearly knocked me down, and I just said "Hey, cut it out!") Despite what the politicians claim, it is NOT more math and
 science education that America needs: it is an adequate education in good behavior, proper conduct, and courteous manners! (Makes me grateful for the parents I had!)

Thumpe

P.S. In a customer's home with unruly children, it is indeed exasperating to see the parent sit idly by. But that is the way it is, sadly, currently. So I just stay calm and tell the parents encouraging things such as that playing the piano will build their child's self-confidence (and, if a girl, make her more resistant to inappropriate "overtures" by boys when she becomes a teen!) and that the quieter it is, the better the tuning will turn out.