[pianotech] undisciplined kids

David Nereson da88ve at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 14:52:30 MST 2013

   The customer calls and wants an assessment of their piano, how much work
it will need, what condition it's in, how much it will cost.  So you go and
do your estimate and the dreaded 7 year old comes in and starts pounding on
the keys.  Then you call the parent to give them your assessment, and while
you're trying to talk to them, they *allow the kid to keep pounding away on
the keys.  They make absolutely no effort to make the kid stop *so you can
hear yourself think, hear the customer, and speak in a normal tone of
voice.  I just don't get it!  ("Oh, we can't stifle his creativity; we
can't interrupt his precious expression of musical feeling.").
     I glance back and forth between the client and the kid, giving every
possible body language indication that it's *really *hindering my ability
to communicate with them and remain professional.  But no, he's just an
innocent kid; it would be inhumane to make him stop. Today I almost reached
over to sweep his arms away from the keys, but stopped myself.   I just
don't get it.  If I were the insurance adjuster or tax accountant, or even
Grandpa, would they let the kid bang away like that when we're trying to
talk?  AAArrrggghhh!!@#%#$%^#^#@!!!!!
    --David Nereson, RPT