[pianotech] Rebuildable S&S B

Euphonious Thumpe lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 4 01:08:56 MST 2013

Hi, Paul. I'm going to guess that's "my" brake part cleaner vs. verdigris technique you used "with great success", and am glad to hear it. But feel obligated to remind everyone that brake part cleaner is largely made up of xylene --- I suspect the most dangerous solvent in terms of causing (hopefully temporary) neurological harm: such as disorientation accompanied by a SEVERE lack of emotions (enough to make others around you wonder "what's up"!) numbness of fingers (if you get any on them) that can last for weeks, and etc.. So, if used, should be used with the GREATEST of caution (outdoors, with a fan blowing over the work, while wearing goggles, a charcoal filter mask and a couple of layers of disposable gloves that will need to be changed often---as it can go right through them without melting the gloves themselves --- at least the vinyl ones.......)
     And since posting that technique, I've spoken with a chap who claims to have a better, safer one: putting all the action parts in a tub of naptha and letting them soak, then blasting all the centers with a compressed-air blow gun pointed straight into them, to blast the verdigris out. (And then, I'm guessing, another dunk and swish- but into a vat of clean naptha, to rinse the contamination away. And then a few days to air out before lubricating the centers, knuckles and and jack tips.)
      While similar cautions should be used with the naptha, it is not as toxic.

Thumpe