[pianotech] Tuning Buddies

Dave Doremus algiers_piano at bellsouth.net
Thu Feb 28 11:03:44 MST 2013

The picture of the golden, who looks a lot like mine, reminded me of one of my favorite helpers. This is an enormous (90 lbs?), shaggy, retriever that on my first visit I did not know was in the house. I was standing, wrapped up in a pitch raise of a lovely old upright, totally lost in my work. He snuck up on my blind side and leaned happily on the back of my legs, coming within a whisker of sending me flying. Once I recovered I scratched his head and he stayed with me the whole time I was there, quiet as could be. Now I look forward to seeing him once a year. I got my first golden 20 years ago from a customer whose dog immediately adopted me, when I found out she was pregnant I had to ask about the puppies and they kindly gave me one who became my kids best buddy and lived to be almost 15. Dogs are generally a pleasure to meet, the ones that are a problem usually have problem owners, and problem pianos, and they don't stay high on my call back list.

---Dave