[pianotech] pianotech - WE are the bastard offspring

Encore Pianos encorepianos at metrocast.net
Wed Feb 27 07:20:43 MST 2013

Hi Kent:

I would like to engage some of your comments, and will start by saying that
you are not of the bad guys, so nothing following is directed personally at
you.

I agree that the closing of mailman by the powers that be is a lost cause.
They have never really listened to us, and they give us no reason to believe
that they will start now.  It is fait accompli as of April 1.  A great many
of us have recognized that and are moving towards a new list elsewhere, as
evidenced by the mechanics and discussion of moving to Googletech.  We are
the bastard offspring they have created, and we are leaving home to go
someplace where we are wanted and respected.

The protest is a lost cause in the sense that it will not bring back
Pianotech.  The unsubscribing to HL is the point of the protest.  It is
there to state that the way that the closing of the Pianotech forum has been
handled over the past 2 years has been divisive, destructive, - and
avoidable.  There is a cost to the way that the board has made its choices.
It is clear to many that the board has not acted in good faith towards the
participants of Pianotech.  We had been lead to believe that other options
would be explored that were exclusive of Pianotech or HL, and it is clear
that any statements to that effect have never been more than window
dressing.

I believe that the majority of participants in Pianotech would have welcomed
a replacement for Pianotech that works as simply as it does, and adds some
features that are the byproduct of software evolution.  Improvements aside,
the fundamental architecture of the interface of the HL site still functions
like it was designed by a bunch of 12 year old boys at recess.  I can still
recall how my heart fell to the floor the first time I opened the HL site
and I thought, "Oh.... My..... God...  What a piece of shit.  How could they
do this to us?"

I did not want to use it then, and nothing they have done to improve it is
enough to make me want to use it now.  That's where most of us are, and we
are not Luddites.  We recognize the blindingly obvious, while others choose
to avoid it.

Here is where I will disagree with you most strongly, Kent:  " So, I would
like to express the opinion that an alternative to abandoning my.ptg would
be instead to sign up for my.ptg and continue to put the pressure on for it
to work correctly."  It will never function as well as PIanotech without a
ground floor rewrite and redesign of the interface.  There is no reason to
believe that HL has either the capability or interest in doing so.   Nor
have we been given any reason to believe that our board even wants such a
thing or considers it important.  They do not give a damn about what we
want.  What evidence is there that this attitude will change anytime soon?
They've done their dirty deed, and they can go back to sleep now.  It's
over.

Utter mediocrity has won.  These people are the face of the organization PTG
and dishonor it with their smallness.  That is why some people are choosing
to leave PTG, and why so many are working to create a viable and enjoyable
alternative replacement for Pianotech.

Most respectfully yours,

Will Truitt