[pianotech] Google groups (Horace)

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Tue Feb 26 09:46:12 MST 2013

I certainly agree that the listserve should absolutely NOT be hosted at PTG
home office, unless all the proper security and integrity precautions are
taken. And to do so for one server offers precisely zero economy of scale
relative to a real hosting service's facility.

As for porting the existing archives to such an off-site host, they do
exist, as do all the attachments to the best of my knowledge. The older
(pre-HL days) attachments are linked to in the message archives as being
located at www dot ptg dot org slash etc., etc., whereas in fact those are
located, along with all the HL-era attachments, at mail dot ptg dot org
slash etc., etc..

I have always (now, as well as during a 25-year IT career) seen the strong
argument in favor of roll-your-own software rather than buying
off-the-shelf. For PTG to continue having its own mailman listserve server
isn't quite roll-your-own, but it's "safer" than going off to google
groups. No one, likely not even Larry Page and Sergey Brin will tell you
with certainty the status of the service known as Google Groups five years
hence. Nor can anyone can offer with any certainty the status of support
for mailman, or Linux OS, or any other component of this proposed
environment five years hence, but it's quite certain that any particular
installation will still be functional... outdated and unsupported perhaps,
but still there. If Google Groups goes away, what happens to "our stuff"?
Presumably it would be available for export at some point prior to
shutdown, but then to go where, exactly?

All that said... if it were my call, I think I'd still vote for migrating
formerly-PTG pianotech communication functionality to Google Groups. It's
simple. It's free. It's secure (as in not lost.) And it's available for the
foreseeable future.

Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN