[pianotech] pitch of a piano

David Nereson da88ve at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 22:01:36 MST 2013

Yes, that's what I've experienced -- sharp when cold, flat when warm.  I
worked at a piano store where the grand in the south-facing show window,
with its lid up, received the full effect of all-afternoon sun, and would
drop in pitch dramatically, even if recently tuned.
     Not thinking ahead, and wiith the action in the piano, I've used a
heat gun in uprights to warm shanks for correcting the hammer angle.  If
too many are done in the same area, the strings heat up and go flat.
     I've read that pipe organs, and brass wind instruments (I don't know
about the woodwinds) do the opposite -- flat when cold, sharp when warm.
    --David Nereson, RPT